Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Johng
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Johng »

Hi all, thanks to a very helpful chap* I came across on Ebay, I have found my way here .. I couldn't see an introductions page so thought I would say hi in the general area...

I am John, 34, in Kent, UK and I spend a lot of time with car and bike engines as a hobby...

I brought a small (13.5') speedboat last month, and am going about getting it on the water as best as I can. I am learning quite quickly, but a complete newbie to boats..

The boat needs everything, except the engine, as it came with an old suzuki 400cc twin 2st (possibly an early DT20- no ID)
The hull does look good. the 'deck' has been sanded, there are no seats, controls, trim or metalwork, the fibreglass internal floor has been partial cut out for reasons I can't fathom.

I now believe the boat to be a Shakespeare skiman..

The powerhead has been removed to allow me to fix a stuck gear selection shaft. I am now making gaskets to help get her back together to see if she runs.. the carb is now clean and there is a spark on both plugs.

*I am also preparing to make a screen, and the chap, Dave, that mentioned this site has very kindly given me a template for his shake, there is a very good chance it will be a close fit to mine, and I will be printing a scaled template on clear film, then cutting cheap ply, before I spend money on perspex.

I do have some pics on a blog.
I will read through all there is on here :thumbsup:
Cheers for now
John :wot:

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: newbie

Post by Alacrity »

Welcome to the site. Plenty to keep you occupied reading through the posts here!

Put up a link to your blog - it will be of interest to us & will help us if/when you ask questions.

Geoff
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Johng

Post by Johng »

Hi Geoff

I will link it, but I may edit it a little :) give me an hour or so and bear in mind my complete 'noviceness' :twisted:

John

Johng

Post by Johng »

ok http://old-speedboat.blogspot.com/ but I need to update it a bit..

and it starts from the newest back to the oldest...

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Post by BroomBroom »

Welcome aboard John...

You've arrived at the right place for info - I can't identify your boat, but guarantee you'll have it pinned down within a day or two. Hope the resto goes well :thumbsup: .

Hope you'll consider becoming a member - we have a fantastic range of events where you will be assured of a warm welcome!

Cheers,

Robin
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

Johng

Post by Johng »

thanks Robin..

yep wil sort membership out asap,, will be ok with the boat, but it may not be a concours resto, lifes to short!! i have enough other projects on :grrr: :D

It has to be a shakespeare...

it doesn't matter, I want it on the water, new paint, and a couple of seats :)

John

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Hi John, welcome..looks like a Skiman to me. There are few Mini Clubmans and a Magnum in the CMBA...we tend to use boats like that for the sea rallies, as they are able to take a pounding yet remain comfortable enough in rough water. Will take a closer look at your blog (the Suzuki looks like a very early one) but good luck and hope to see you on the water soon.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Johng

Post by Johng »

Hi Rapier, thanks for that. Yes re engine.. I dont know when Suzuki started advertising HP on the cowling as against CC, but imagine some time in the mid 70's

I have also brought a 60HP evinrude :shock: which will need a rebuild.. that can wait a while though :)

J

Johng

Post by Johng »

all, I have a few questions, about the boat.. they are general ones really.. should I post them all here rather than making a post somewhere else for them.. I wouldnt say they were very high level ...

John

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Post by BroomBroom »

John,

We're not that fussy...
Probably best to stick any specific questions about your boat in a new thread in the 'Boat Shed' but if it's just queries about the marque - just post here in 'General'.

Cheers,

R
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/