Itchen & Scratchin Run?

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Itchen & Scratchin Run?

Post by Rapier »

Yes, still on for 25th. The more the merrier; if you fancy a trip out.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Cardo

Post by Cardo »

Been abroad a lot this year on business, so not much time for boating, was planning to give our rib a run out of calshot so may meet up with you, whats the agenda as the tide is low mid day?

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Tides not great, but they make our recovery easier, if there are a many boats. The plan is to leave the slipway at Crosshouse Lane at 11ish, with us all meeting at mouth of the Hamble, or at the Jolly Sailor to get there for lunch 12h15 -12h30 ish. The quicker & bigger boats will tend to go for a blast further out into the Solent. Will be worthwhile exchanging numbers. Other option is to go further afield, if anyone has any suggestions.

Scuben
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Scuben »

Had a good first run out from crosshouse slip on sunday. Engine ran well and boat handled beautifully.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Looks like good weather & not too bumpy for you.

Camping spot, if anyone fancies a weekend of it...

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/revie ... revid=7028

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

America's cup qualifier this weekend off Southsea so we can expect it to be quite busy. Main event is Sunday though I believe.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Post by petrolhead »

We can't join you...taking eldest for belated birthday boat party to Cowes overnight on Friday..weather on Friday looks truly dreadful! but that's our luck. We may see you Saturday pm on our way back..so look out for us :thumbsup: we wont be too quick..rather too much weed on her at the moment :(

Saturday is going to be breezy I think but not very big tides so should not be too lumpy. I think your slip will be ok on the near neaps...however, Rapier may have forgotten at low water the slipway sometimes runs out..............I do remember dragging a broom up the concrete and manhandling onto a trailer that had fallen off the end in the water which is when we found out :hilarious: was hard work........

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

That was the Hamble Parish Council slipway, next to the Royal Southern Yacht Club. The less said about that the better - a complete travesty, someone needs to get it fixed, setup pontoons on the side of it to leave your boat moored up and decent parking for trailers and cars less than an 15 minute walk away. Suspect sewerage drains onto it too. Also remember at least 3 members being ticketed in the car park one xmas gathering & wrecked my waders in a diesel spill from upstream there too. One to avoid.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

In the end only 3 boats turned up which was a disappointment. I felt for Rapier.

Very unusually my Stapely's Merc 115 was decidedly poorly, dropping half(?) or more of its cylinders after running for about 10 mins. :( 8 mph instead of its normal 60 wasn't going to cut it! No obvious sign of the cause so it has either taken some water into the fuel system or a cdi box has gone down at a guess. Most unusual for this motor though.

Nick & Mike went off to the Jolly Sailor having a play on the way whilst myself & my girlies recovered the boat & went to the pub by car, with the girls returning by boat where I was waiting to recover. Nevertheless a nice day out with lovely weather, just my turn to have the troublesome boat! :x
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

No need to worry about fewer numbers - I think many were juggling, it being the start of the school holidays too. Is easy to arrange also. Maybe we can do another around the same date August. Hopefully the freight train will be ready...I will be doing leak testing tomorrow :help: