What adhesives to use

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

welshhealey
CMBA Member: 71

What adhesives to use

Post by welshhealey »

Hi guys
I'm about to stick down the marine ply inserts on my Moonfleet .. want to seal edges as well as stick them down ... so is it some sort of clear marine grade mastik?(hope I spelt that correct :hmmm: ) the old ones that were at least 45 years old peeled off in one piece so dont know what they used in the 60's :o no doubt the materials used these days are far more advanced and a better choice I would think :perfect:

welshhealey
CMBA Member: 71

Re: What adhesives to use

Post by welshhealey »

Hi guys

I'm about to stick down the marine ply inserts on the bow of my Moonfleet .. I need to seal the edges as well as stick them down , so would I use a marine grade clear mastik ?(hope I spelt that correctly :hmmm: ) the old ones that were at least 45 years old peeled of in one piece :perfect: so ideal for templates ;) dont know what they used in the 60's but no doubt in this day and age there will be better products and a wider choice I would think :hmmm:

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

West System, go to the english web site, Wessex resins, that will tell you all about it.

Mirak
CMBA Member: 672

Post by Mirak »

I'd use WEST to do the whole job: Seal the edges; glue the panels down and clear-coat them.

105 resin with 207 hardener which is the 3:1 mix. It is both a good adhesive and acts as a great clear base below varnish. (there is a knack to the varnishing though - send me a PM and I'll tell you how I do it.)

As Seven-of-Nine says, take a look at the Wessex website and download the manuals. They provide great technical support via email too.

Cheers,
S
********************************************************************************
* Swinging the World by the tail since 1960 *
********************************************************************************

kingorry
CMBA Member: 0

Post by kingorry »

welshhealey wrote:Hi guys
I'm about to stick down the marine ply inserts on my Moonfleet .. want to seal edges as well as stick them down ... so is it some sort of clear marine grade mastik?(hope I spelt that correct :hmmm: ) the old ones that were at least 45 years old peeled off in one piece so dont know what they used in the 60's :o no doubt the materials used these days are far more advanced and a better choice I would think :perfect:

INTERNATIONAL paints do a resin for jointing and fixing laminates, go onto their website for info which also has on-line videos of how to tackle certain jobs.

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Post by BroomBroom »

Another vote for West Systems here too... Keep an eye on the temperature, follow their recommendations to the letter and you'll be good to go :thumbsup:

R
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

Another big fan of west system,Get the pumps with the tins they are so handy. The microballoons are great for filling were you don't want any runs just mix it in to your resin to the thickness you need.And if you are going to use a roller for a large piece only use the west rollers,cheep rollers will just fall apart and mess up your work. :perfect:

Editor

Post by Editor »

I used a flooring epoxy (for dance halls, it's thinner) on my narrow boat cabin, applied with an old credit card, squeegie fashion. It makes the epoxy go three times further, leaves a beautifully smooth finish and helps push it into the grain on plywood nicely. I have had my birch ply cabin up and painted over the resin for 4 years and it is only just showing signs of needing repainting.
Recoat the resin for a second or even third coat whilst the previous is still tacky.
Make sure you brush it liberally into end grain.

Editor

a6monarch
CMBA Member: 816

Post by a6monarch »

I would suggest one of the epoxy clear adhesives west or similar. can get on line from pin bax .co.uk.

catweazle

Post by catweazle »

Mirak wrote: Seven-of-Nine
I dont know much about Wests but i know a lot about 7of9 :heat:
seven-of-nine.jpg