Aluminium windscreen frames

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Bronteboxer
CMBA Member: 915

Re: Aluminium windscreen frames

Post by Bronteboxer »

I keep watching this, so pleased to see that you have finally succeeded.

I still don’t have a shot of my fitted trim/frame, as shortly after what I thought would be my last coat of deck varnish, then final assembly, I hit a snag. It seems I will have to give the deck another rubbing flat and try a couple of further coats as on fully drying I am not happy with the finish. I’m not back in the U.K. again until late Nov, so yet again things have come to a halt. It like ‘never ending story’ my restoration. Engine on now, complete with working controls. Steering done. Kill switch fitted. Deck fittings first fit completed, but removed ready for further work. All hull painting completed and a dozen other small jobs, that seem to appear from nowhere, just when you are getting to the end of a project!

I can never get clear pictures like yours. By the time I have shrunk the image to load it always looks vague.

Lovely looking job you have done there.

It’s good to have something to read on here. Seems nobody is doing much whilst shut away? I would have thought the opposite.
This forum has gone seriously quiet

welshhealey
CMBA Member: 71

Post by welshhealey »

Many thanks Bronteboxer for replying! Nice to hear you are progressing even though these can be slow going tasks, it brings back many memories when I re built the Moonfleet, 8 years in total! Most of the time it was one step forward three steps back which went on for what seemed like a lifetime ! .

With regards to uploading pictures successfully, I had a tip from one CMBA member, email the picture to yourself, that reduces the size of it ( file size) then, store the emailed picture back into your picture file on your laptop/iPad etc, then upload it to this site from there, a bit of a fiddle and long winded, but it works . And yes you are so correct in saying about the forum being quiet, I do not have a Facebook account and do not intend to either, but with these dark Winter nights, plus the pandemic depressing issues,I would have thought it would be busier, however, it’s nice and uplifting to read posts on here when they do appear, so I agree with you that the forum is rather quiet to what it used to be, hey ho that’s life I suppose. :(

Bronteboxer
CMBA Member: 915

Post by Bronteboxer »

I remember your Moonfleet build and recall reading your thread. I joined in late 2012, after visiting the Beal Park event, meeting Nick and a couple of others, names which escape me now.

Thanks for the useful tip on loading photos. As soon as I have something worth posting I will use that.

It looks like my first launch is going to be a very chilly early year escapade locally here in North Norfolk. I’m 10 mins from a local Staithe, but restricted to 3/4mph on the Broad. At least I won’t have the hassle of inexperienced trippers in big Broads cruisers floating around.

When Input the engine on. friends boat to test a couple of years ago, we hadn’t gone 400 metres and came across a classic Broads sailor stuck nose in to the reeds. He had picked up reed on the rudder and just sailed in and jammed. Good practice in manoeuvring to pull him out!