simmonds mounts

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

eastcoast
CMBA Member: 0

simmonds mounts

Post by eastcoast »

Hi does anyone know the part no of the engine mounts in a simmonds? they must be some kind of automotive engine mount.
Regards eastcoast

Simonp
CMBA Member: 360

Re: simmonds mounts

Post by Simonp »

I have automotive mounts and to be honest they are no good and the engine moves about too much. These engines really should have some kind of anti thrust mount but those that I have seen for marine use look too large.

Any thoughts ?

SimonP
Simmonds fitted from new with what, I believe, is the only running factory marinised Daimler 2.5 litre V8 (as fitted to the Daimler SP 250) in the UK. Please let me know if you find another! Believed to be Norman Buckley's race boat.

Mirak
CMBA Member: 672

Post by Mirak »

I used Vetus engine mounts. the smallest they did.

They stop the engine moving about, but are slightly too tall. This leads to the front of the engine being too high and no room for the header tanks and etc etc...

One day I'll modify the engine mounting brackets and make them about 1 1/2" shorter.

S
********************************************************************************
* Swinging the World by the tail since 1960 *
********************************************************************************

Simonp

Post by Simonp »

Since placing the above post I had a word with the guys at AV Vibration - http://www.avindustrialproducts.co.uk/

Their marine products would appear to suit our boats and they sell them on ebay.

SimonP
Simmonds fitted from new with what, I believe, is the only running factory marinised Daimler 2.5 litre V8 (as fitted to the Daimler SP 250) in the UK. Please let me know if you find another! Believed to be Norman Buckley's race boat.

eastcoast
CMBA Member: 0

Post by eastcoast »

Thanks simon, the simmonds mounts were called silentbloc and you can get them on alibaba, but heres the catch, you have to order 100! how many other people need some :-)

i'm using land rover metalastic ones as there dirt cheap but shake your fillings out.

Simonp

Post by Simonp »

Paul

The mounts from AV cost about £25 each and thats for the small ones. I guess the mounts for engines with fairly modest power outputs are not such a problem and mainly satisfied with some kind of car engine mount but the marine mounts are technically much better suited for what we need. I guess only required if you are using high performance engines.

SimonP