marinizing an engine

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

wolfie
CMBA Member: 0

marinizing an engine

Post by wolfie »

I have found a low mileage Volvo B18 engine, anyone got a heat exchange manifold and water pump for one ?

So what / how could i do it if i can not find a genuine manifold, thinking that i can do a bit of re plumbing and run it through an external exchanger, and run a external raw water pump via a belt system, build a "water" injected exhaust system and should be good to go, any one done this sort of thing before ? any pitfalls to watch out for ? any advice would be really welcomed.

regards

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Re: marinizing an engine

Post by sean-nós »

I'm not sure about your engine but on the GM block the marine one has stronger bearings as it runs on high revs a lot of the time it also has brass freeze plugs and I have to change the Alternator, starter, carb and distributor. You could try Barr marine http://www.marineengine.com/parts/barr_ ... /index.htm for your manifold.

Good luck with it :drink:

pspeed

Post by pspeed »

Hi,

From Memory the marine engine has a different timing cover and camshaft to mount and drive the water pump, so if yours is a car engine you might be better off using a belt driven Jabsco mounted on the front of the engine somewhere.
The manifolds are not cheap (i have replied in another thread) but not sure if you could do it any other way as the carb and exhaust are on the same side, unlike the later engine. I once had some Stainless manifolds made for a pair of BMW marine engines but they weren't cheap either, but again the carbs were on the other side, I dont think you would have the room to make a separate water jacketed exhaust manifold alongside the inlet manifold.
You wouldn't need a heat exchanger (closed cooling) you could just pump raw water around the block like most of these engines did (closed cooling was a factory option I think) however a lot of them ran oil coolers which had an adaptor where the filter screwed to the block (certainly on the later OHC engine).
Hope this is some help.

P

Blue Mist

Post by Blue Mist »

wolfie wrote:I have found a low mileage Volvo B18 engine, anyone got a heat exchange manifold and water pump for one ?

So what / how could i do it if i can not find a genuine manifold, thinking that i can do a bit of re plumbing and run it through an external exchanger, and run a external raw water pump via a belt system, build a "water" injected exhaust system and should be good to go, any one done this sort of thing before ? any pitfalls to watch out for ? any advice would be really welcomed.

regards
Hi wolfie, I can help you with the jacketed exhaust manifold and pump, also have the B20 engine for spares or repair plus a couple of 100 series outdrives . Need to get rid of the lot.Open to an offer for some or all . Brought for a project that didn't happen ! We are based in Brighton. Can PM you my phone number if interested.

wolfie

Post by wolfie »

Blue Mist, PM sent

Blue Mist

Post by Blue Mist »

Wolfie, PM sent