Old Mercury Decals and Bearings /Seals

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Old Mercury Decals and Bearings /Seals

Post by solitaire »

I have just finished painted my merc 200/250, the next job is decals - I was wondering if any members had expierience with these guys ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151020773242? ... _483wt_932

I have used NYE (Canada) in the past, - they are very good - but this time I need 3 sets and these guys seem good deal cheaper!!

re Bearings and seals - I had realy good dealings with a company on the web called Simply Bearings.co.uk - they supplied the correct bottom crank bearing for my old 200 (£3.88, - 6205/C3-FAG) and SKF seals (£6.06 each, - CR.8624 ) - they were happy to do the cross reference checks with merc part numbers and very friendly service
Cashmire white.JPG

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Old Mercury Decals and Bearings /Seals

Post by Alacrity »

They may be cheaper Andre but the are not correct - they are not chrome, only grey instead of. I bought some once years ago without realising that they were not chrome & I thought they looked horrible personally. Bear in mind the 'faceplate' is a big area of chrome to be replaced with grey. Personally I think it would be a shame to 'spoil the ship' etc.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

Good point Alacrity - (although I don't think these old autotrannys are worth much) it would be nice to do them well - I almost have a full set a 10hp 2 x 22hp and a 25hp (and just been given a slightly older Mark 10) plus 2 sets of good remotes....
but have also found these from John Mcintosh which are chrome - http://www.johnsmcintoshvintagemercuryo ... index.html

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

I believe those decals are rated quite highly on the Johns Old Merc forum.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

gfgarland
CMBA Member: 0

Post by gfgarland »

Indeed they are, John M. makes some quality decals and would be my first choice in this regard.

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

The oracle has spoken Andre, George knows his stuff & tells it as it is. Go with his advice is what I would do.