Jack Frost and the Bowman oil cooler

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Simonp
CMBA Member: 360

Jack Frost and the Bowman oil cooler

Post by Simonp »

Not sure how many of our boats are fitted with Bowman oil coolers. Mine succumbed to the -15 winter temperatures. At Windermere just we quickly found that the end cover had cracked although it was in fairly corroded state anyway. Thanks to Ted Marsh of the WMBRC who kindly welded up the offending item which had broken in half. Normal service was resumed until we had a cooked coil and jambed float.

Luckily I found on return to Birmingham that Bowman oil coolers are still being made in Aston, Birmingham and they are able to supply spare parts for the same 50 year old oil cooler - same size and fit! http://www.ejbowman.co.uk/

New end cap was purchased for £38 (complete with large drain plug) which was fitted this afternoon. I asked about getting discounts for CMBA members - well if you don't ask! - and they said most likely to get a better rate from Lansing Marine - now he tells me! The replacement item was made of brass as they no longer manufacture in cast iron - I guess this is better for salt water.

As regards the coil, I have now fitted a twin coil arrangement but would be interested to see how others have dealt with this.

See you at Cardiff.

SimonP
Simmonds fitted from new with what, I believe, is the only running factory marinised Daimler 2.5 litre V8 (as fitted to the Daimler SP 250) in the UK. Please let me know if you find another! Believed to be Norman Buckley's race boat.

vaf123
CMBA Member: 841

Re: Jack Frost and the Bowman oil cooler

Post by vaf123 »

Just a thought on your overheating coil. If you are using a dynamo it is possible that your regulator is overcharging. I would check the actual voltage at the coil, even if you have an alternator, as these can also cause problems.
Nice to see you at Mallory Park last weekend for the VSCC meeting.
Terry.

Simonp
CMBA Member: 360

Re: Jack Frost and the Bowman oil cooler

Post by Simonp »

Thanks Terry - good to see you too. I will add that to the growing list of things to check - hope there aren't probs with the electronic ignition. It will be good to get the reliability back again on the Simmonds.

Simon
Simmonds fitted from new with what, I believe, is the only running factory marinised Daimler 2.5 litre V8 (as fitted to the Daimler SP 250) in the UK. Please let me know if you find another! Believed to be Norman Buckley's race boat.