Gina's new Merc - Progress Report

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Gina's new Merc - Progress Report

Post by BroomBroom »

I guess many of you will know a little about the engine issues that have kept Gina off the water for over a season now. For those that don't, I found a sound enough Johnson 25, converted it to longshaft and ran it for a few below par circuits before it decided it didn't want to play any more. Due to the lack of time, space and ability to sort it myself I placed it with a well respected local marine engineer - who still has it and is still 'looking at it as we speak' - this has been with him for a year now!

Fast forward to the present >>>
Spurred on by a particularly enjoyable day at Ivy Lake and the rewards of a nice contract to kick the year off, I placed an ad on this very forum for a Merc. I was happy to consider anything really - as long as it was a runner. Within hours, I received an email from a fellow member advising of a L/S Merc Classic Fifty on eBay. The price was good, it looked clean and tidy and I was ready to go. It was listed as having a problem with a weak spark but a call to our own Alacrity convinced me this was something that could probably be sorted fairly easily.

I had the engine delivered direct to Alacrity's expansive country estate and was pleased to get a call saying that it had arrived safe and sound and certainly looked OK.
thebeast.JPG
The idea was to first replace the impeller and then have a look at the 'weak spark' issue. Armed with new impeller, gaskets and outboard stand, I eagerly set off, happy with the prospect of finally being able to get my little boaty sorted.

Although a self-confessed dimwit when it comes to oily things, I did check a few videos on how to change the impeller - simple enough as you all know, undo bolts, drop gearbox etc. etc.

I was greeted bright and early (for me) by Alacrity - but was slightly perturbed by the response to my cheery 'good morning' which was something along the lines of 'it may not be - we have a bit of a problem...'

Not wishing to teach my grandmother, I said 'no, it's perfectly simple, undo the bolts and it all drops down...' erm... no - apparently it doesn't. Anyway, long story short, following over two hours of hammering in wedges and he-man levering the gearbox finally parted company.
They never showed that in the video...

The drive shaft splines looked OK, but the the little spring tensioner thingy (technical term) at the end of the drive shaft was pretty corroded. A decision was taken to pull the lump out and have a look a the end of the crankshaft. Hmmm - not so much splines as rusty bumps. After a bit of spline dentistry and a blow out with the air line, it was obvious the thing was shot.

Within short order, the whole thing was broken down to its component parts, where it also revealed a shot piston. At almost every stage, there was a problem with one thing or another and I would by now have doubtless chucked it all in a skip and given up boating for ever but for Alacrity's - 'I think I've got a spare one of those...' every time a problem was encountered.
IMG_1014.jpg
IMG_1015.jpg
So now I'm off to get new seals and bits and we can then start to get the thing back together. I came away with a boot-full of bits for repainting and although it really wasn't supposed to be like this, at least I'll know that the engine will be 'right' when it's done and with correct care and maintenance should give me a lot of pleasure for many years.

Apart from general interest and the reminder of 'Caveat Emptor', I want to put on record my heartfelt thanks to Alacrity and all my fellow CMBA Members :thumbsup: - the advice and assistance I have had right from my first day of joining, has been invaluable.

Right then... I'm off to get the Wet+Dry - watch this space...

Robin
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Re: Gina's new Merc - We weren't expecting this!

Post by sean-nós »

Great work guy's :thumbsup:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

I'll second that. It doesn't always go right, but don't despair. My budget on a very good Merc 500 is around the £600 mark, if it stands you more and is spot on and you know it is then half the battle is won. And when they're right, they go on and on and on...Gina will probably do about 35mph flat out with it, so a very good choice.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

BroomBroom

Post by BroomBroom »

Quick update... needless to say there have been a few more small issues. Worst of which is the Stator is FUBAR - new CDI version incoming from our chums over the water.

Currently repainting the 'bodywork' - will get some pics up soon.
Rapier wrote:My budget on a very good Merc 500 is around the £600 mark
:hilarious: :lol: :hilarious: :lol: :hilarious: :lol: :hilarious: :lol: :hilarious: :lol: :grrr:

BroomBroom

Pix!

Post by BroomBroom »

Difficult to photograph with flash - peeing down outside and it's all very shiny :chuffed:
Before...
Before...
...After
...After
merc02.jpg
Hopefully getting the leg done this week...

R

BroomBroom

Gina's new Merc - Update...

Post by BroomBroom »

Leg and gearbox all painted now and ready to receive the newly rebuilt powerhead :woo:

Stator and other assorted 'bits' arrived from the US and I didn't get clobbered by the dreaded import duties - so a little ray of sunshine there - and man, could we use some of that at the moment!

A few hours work last night and it all began to come together, so this is where we are now:
IMG_1026.JPG
IMG_1025.JPG
IMG_1024.JPG

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Gina's new Merc - Progress Report

Post by Alacrity »

Looks like this now! Forgive the poor pictures please. She now has a big fat spark so that's definitely a step forward. :D
Attachments
IMG_1028.JPG
IMG_1029.JPG
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

BroomBroom

Post by BroomBroom »

Alacrity wrote:Forgive the poor pictures please
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
Alacrity wrote:She now has a big fat spark so that's definitely a step forward. :D
:woo: :chuffed: :woo: :chuffed: :woo: :chuffed:

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

Looking good guy's great to see another one back from the dead :thumbsup:

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Not far to go now, hopefully running next week if time permits. :tumbleweed:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!