Merc 80 prop clearance

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Merc 80 prop clearance

Post by floater »

With the Chertsey meet approaching on May 2nd I thought today would be a good day to smoke out the neighbours and fire up the Merc after the winter recess. One of my Christmas presents was a 20 pitch Laser 2 prop so I fitted that but immediately noticed that it clouts the trim tab. Am I doing something wrong e.g. does it need a different thrust washer or do I just need one of those offset trim tabs to set it back from the longer prop?

Incidentally the motor ran great, roll on Chertsey :wot:
Attachments
19P Quicksilver std ally
19P Quicksilver std ally
18p Quicksilver silverado
18p Quicksilver silverado
Laser clashing with tab
Laser clashing with tab

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: Merc 80 prop clearance

Post by se7en »

I don't run a trim tab on JADE, I have an anode without the 'fin', you can cut it off, I doubt you'll notice any difference, If you have time ask puddleduck, he can supply them without the fin ..................................or chop the blades off..!!! :giggle:
Last edited by se7en on Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

That'll teach you...

The Flat Earth Society.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

I'm going to stick my neck out and hope it doesn't get chopped off.I think you are going to find that you are very much over propped.The 20" is what's causing it to clip the tab.
The min -max rpm's on your Merc 80HP are between 4800 and 5200 wide open.Me thinks,unless the Shakey is very light,you will be hard pushed to get up to 4800rpm's,and that will put strain on the engine.
I have a two blade aluminium 13.25x19" which I run on "NO-KIT" when I'm on my own and it pushes up to 5300rpm's,a wee bit over.When I have the girls on,I run a three blade aluminium 13.25x17" which just makes it to 5100rpm's.The three blade 19" pitch will only push up to 4900rpm's with four on board.
Another consideration is the s/s is stiffer than aluminium and needs less pitch to reach the recommended rpm's.
So as it was a Christmas present, get one of those Yamaha offset trim tabs. :D
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

se7en

Post by se7en »

Floaters 80 is the later ADI motor, with the extra transfer port, it will rev to 5600-5800, its the same block as my 850XS, the rake on the blades is for bow lift, its nothing to do with pitch, with this on his boat he should be able to lift the engine and run it high, this will also help it to get its revs up, the square vent ports in the front of the hub at the root of the blades will help as well, may take a bit of messing about but he should be able to pull 20" pitch.
Attachments
this is our 850 with 19" Balistic prop we pull 5800, and our boat is not as 'slippery' as floaters.
this is our 850 with 19" Balistic prop we pull 5800, and our boat is not as 'slippery' as floaters.

se7en

Post by se7en »

Another view. We run it around 4" high.
Attachments
10420_278993860153_707655153_9425123_1800531_n.jpg

floater

Post by floater »

Thanks for the replies. I saw the post from Haventaclue so went for a rummage in the garage to find my 21p ally prop and compare it to the 19 ally. Having now returned I see that Se7en has replied. My comparison showed that standing the props side by side vertically on the inner hub surface the blades end at exactly the same height. The laser is a longer prop overall probably designed that way for good reasons.

I have been running a 19 ally prop with no problem, we did a bit of waterskiing last summer and had the boat loaded with fuel bow and stern at Hayling. Part of my tinkering today was to calibrate the rev counter using my hand held tacho directly on the crankshaft in prepetration for some proper evaluation at Chertsey (sans trim tab)

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I have laser 2 on my Merc 115 & like Se7en does, I run a flat anode with no tab on it. HOWEVER I have hydraulic steering so I don't need it to compensate engine torque. On my Broom I had the 650 offset so she ran straight 'hands off' which made her nicer to drive. If you are not bothered about this then run a flat anode, if you want to neutralise the torque get a tab with the rear offset to clear the prop & set the offset.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

Solitaire has a cut off Anode and I think you have been out with her! - and no torque steer effect - (straight as a arrow :wot: ) -If yours does steer to one side try a case of beer on the opposite side -then you can fine tune it by offloading the beer to other members boats

floater

Post by floater »

I have a teleflex no feedback helm so trim shouldn't be a problem :thumbsup: