Merc 80 prop clearance

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Re: Merc 80 prop clearance

Post by haventaclue »

se7en :notworthy: .I learn something new everyday.Well in this case rake was something I had ignored :oops: as I hadn't a clue.So armed with se7en's info,I hit google,took a wee while for the alcohol free grey matter to absorb the info.The theory of pitch and slip I had read plenty about but it's the first time I paid attention to this rake side of it.
I knew floaters was the newer ADI ignition but not about the extra transfer port in the newer 80HP.I'll need to reread all the stuff I have backed up on this bloody computer.One sore head coming up and I haven't been near a beer or whiskey in a month :D
Mind you it's unlikely I'll ever be using a s/s prop and worrying about too much/little rake,unless I get one for Christmas :)
So my conclusion,is that I need greater aft rake on my prop if my boat is bow heavy and tilt trim is unable to raise it for more top end with all other variables of engine size,height,max/min rpms and prop pitch taken into account.I'm not being facetious,just curious as to being on the right track or not
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist