Evinrude cable differences and wanted

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Sicobra
CMBA Member: 891

Evinrude cable differences and wanted

Post by Sicobra »

Guys, being relatively new to the Evinrude can someone explain the difference between the 400 series and 479 series control cables. I need two sets of the correct sort for my 1969 25hp engine, one pair 10ft long, one pair 14ft long. I have a nice clean smooth running pair 8 ft long if anyone needs them or wants a swap? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Evinrude cable differences and wanted

Post by Rapier »

As far as I know, 479 are post '79 and can be distinguished by the closed ends, normally plastic at one end and brass the controller end. 400 are normally plain wire at both ends & require a kit on the engine side, and at the controller the ends are crimped to the inserts with small grub screws. It depends what controller you have - there are 5 different types of 3 styles for both 479 and 400 cables - Simplex, Shipmaster, Control Master, etc - but post '79 cables coupled to the ubiquitous modern Ultraflex / Teleflex single lever controller (handle pulls out for fast idle / gear disengage) don't have the necessary throttle throw for the early motors, so avoid going down this route. I have a 15ft NOS 400 style cable (type 'O'), if you need.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

Thanks for the reply Rapier, now I look I can see what you mean about the grub screws, they were covered in grease!!! So I think I am right from your advice that I need 400's, pics below show my too short ones, have you a pair available?

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

I don't recognise the end pieces in the 1st pic. Have you got the controller? Post a pic if you can..

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

Here it is, there are no names or part numbers painted or cast into to it anywhere so I have no idea of the make!!!

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

I think is a period aftermarket version (old style Ultraflex/Teleflex?) - I've seen one recently ...maybe in the club spares? Those cable ends should come off & will be needed if you keep the controller.

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

Thanks Rapier, yes I want too keep it, it fits well with the boat style. So that's a pair of 400 cables I need, do you have a pair or just the one?

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Have definitely got the one, I think is 15ft - will measure it tomorrow, but will hunt for another close to that.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Sorry is 18ft! You'd be hard pressed to lose 4ft. Why I have it is a mystery, suspect too many years of hoarding.

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

No probs Buddy and thanks for checking, at least I now know what to get thanks to your help, cheers. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: