Air filters. Albatrosses etc

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

AlbertRoss
CMBA Member: 0

Air filters. Albatrosses etc

Post by AlbertRoss »

What does anyone do in terms of fitting an air filter to an Albatross, Delta or Simmonds type boat with (a) a Ford 100e, (b) a 1600cc Ford crossflow (twin choke weber carb), or (c) a 1700 Ford 204E (Zenith carb) engine?
No sign of any having been fitted in the past. Is this normal?
Are they (a) necessary, and (b) feasible to fit , given the carburettor top is so close to the engine cover lid?
Any discussion welcome.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Air filters. Albatrosses etc

Post by Alacrity »

As far as I am aware they didn't have much in the way of filters, I know my 1500 Kent engined Delta (twin SU's) which is original only has the flat wire mesh filters which clearly don't filter very fine particles - more of a 'strainer' really. Of course you don't normally get much dust on the water so most marine engines in my experience have little or no filtering.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

tiptoe
CMBA Member: 632

Post by tiptoe »

Hi, I had a bad experience of conking out whilst passing the same point in poole harbour three times and still my son, who thought he was jinxing it, loves the boat. The boat in question is 'Jamollie' my TR3 powered with twin SU carbs. After changing lots of things, not being gifted in engine fixing, I realised it was filthy air filter material. I ran the engine with none but the wire gauze, on dry land, and it didn't miss a beat for about half an hour. Should I leave it like this with just the circular wire gauze?

LaDauphine

Post by LaDauphine »

I believe that Albatrosses were not fitted with air filters; mine has never had any. It is hard to see that you would do a lot of damage, unless you are regularly using it from a windy beach and sand is entering the engine compartment.