Mercury 115

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Smile and pay
CMBA Member: 0

Mercury 115

Post by Smile and pay »

Hi there need some help please, can anyone tell me what year this engine is?
The serial number on the plate is 5726265. Ita a elpt model.
The second question I have which may sound silly :oops: is that I am unsure if this should have a distributor or not,
I can see plug leads coming out of coil packs on one side ...but don't know if there should be a distributor the other,
I have not got a manual yet so I am not sure what bits are missing or not.
Thanks in advance

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Mercury 115

Post by Alacrity »

Sounds like you have a later ADI (Alternator Driven Ignition) style engine which has no distributor. Makes it post 1982 (I think). What colour are the decals - if original they can help give a clue to age. I'm guessing brown possibly? The ADI system was the final incarnation & the best.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

115 5600967 - 6006833 1980/1981 6 cyl i/l (80/81 = samma modellår) That bit of Swedish = same model :D And I would say '80 given the proximity to the start number.I believe the distributor was discontinued about '78,though I could be wrong,wouldn't be the first time, :hilarious: here's a link to a breakdown of your engine http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/683.cfm
And it's a US built Merc,if it was Belgian it would start with a 9
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

Smile and pay

Post by Smile and pay »

Great thanks guys, good news if no distributor as there a pretty penny....to answer the colours of the decals most of the colour on them has disappeared but black dark blue bright blue the face plate has a fine red line around the 115,
..with the later style rounded modern mercury logo on the cowl and faceplate will get a picture uploaded.

On this engine the swivel bracket was cracked and damaged,I have ordered and received a replacement from the states ouch!,,no wonder I have never got any money :D it's an evinrude version it does look the same at first inspection costly mistake if not, I need to replace the old one I believe the power head has to come off? The other thing is the tilt and trim tubes at the top with the screw threads on the end how does that come out please.

Many thanks in advance

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Can you post some pictures please, we will know exactly what you are talking about then. I would be surprised if the Evinrude part will fit the Merc I'm sorry to say.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

As Alacrity has already said, post some pictures, there is more than one type of power tilt, depending on year/model, and we don't know for sure what model engine you have, and taking into account that its an engine that's around thirty years old,it may have been messed around with and may not be original.

Smile and pay

Post by Smile and pay »

image.jpg
image.jpg (23.91 KiB) Viewed 13561 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (36.64 KiB) Viewed 13564 times

Smile and pay

Post by Smile and pay »

Merc cowling

Smile and pay

Post by Smile and pay »

Merc cowling removed
image.jpg
image.jpg (37.89 KiB) Viewed 13553 times

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

Those decals were used between 1980-1982, and it is an ADI ignition system, if its healthy, it should be a nice motor, but I'm not sure about your post to make OMC parts fit , I'm sure with enough messing about you can make anything fit anything, but it would devalue the engine, get hold of the real bits, its safer ,