Mercury 115

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Re: Mercury 115

Post by haventaclue »

Alacrity wrote:I would be surprised if the Evinrude part will fit the Merc I'm sorry to say.
I have to agree with Alacrity here.Also looking at the parts diagram it is the old two ram,pump in the boat system like this one http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-r ... blem/page2 .Fitted same to my old Merc800 last year.If you're stuck,I have a spare saddle which I had welded,but if your own isn't too badly damaged,a competent aluminum welder should be able to repair it for you.
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

Smile and pay
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Smile and pay »

Thanks for the update, pleased to hear I don't need the costly distributor ;) ,regarding the swivel bracket,
The supplier took the engine serial number and matched it to the bracket ,eyeballing it it does look and measure up the same,so fingers crossed.
Any ideas on how to get the threaded ppt tube out it seems as though there is something I can't see holding it in ?
Other problem is the bottom of the swivel has a collar around it held on by two bolts ,one is seized solid,
Don't have a cylinder to heat it up any ideas,don't want to force it ,have lashed on penetrating oil diesel grease castrol
And soaking it .regs

Smile and pay

Post by Smile and pay »

Re the bracket ,yes it's the pump in the boat version, the outer bracket is good its the swivel inside that that's scrap
On the link you posted their bracket on has weird spacers in it and they are not using the ppt threaded tube at the top,
It looks modified to me? I will try and get more pictures of the bracket and post them later
Thanks all for your valued input

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

Seized parts will come apart easier and safer (for the part ) with heat, if you don't have a blow torch, its a good idea to invest in one, you will most likely need it , its cheaper to buy a blow torch than brake or destroy a part by other means...!!

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

OH yes,heat,heat,heat and even more heat,and I use a fair bit of brake fluid as well.All that is wrong is seizure so take your time.That is a through and through bolt holding the U bracket,more heat.
Me bad,wrong choice of pic.,those spacers are an add on.
Hopefully the bore for the tilt pin are the same
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

Smile and pay

Post by Smile and pay »

Thanks chaps heat it is then, so I heat the bolt head and turn whilst warm or let it cool down ?

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

I can't tell you how to do it, it takes a bit of feel for the job and experience, however, I would suggest you try and see, don't be in a hurry, put it through two or three heat cycles if it needs it.