Antique Evinrude Speeditwin 6039 22.5hp

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Antique Evinrude Speeditwin 6039 22.5hp

Post by Rapier »

Got this recently. Is a 1946 model. These 6039s were made from 1939 through 1951, with 3 different lower units - mine is leftover military stock from the wartime Stormboat motors and is recognisable by the extra fins. It's mostly all there bar a missing original tiller and a broken cowling. As they made so many, parts are readily available. Not for the weak, this motor is big and heavy for such a small capacity.

The carb is straight forward and easy to service. The magneto is simplicity itself, a single set of points and coil producing both sparks. This has a modern condensor.
Attachments
P1210761 (Large).JPG
P1210769 (Large).JPG
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Woodwych
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Antique Evinrude Speeditwin 6039 22.5hp

Post by Woodwych »

Do you need an original NOS decal? Its dark green though so maybe not correct for your year
IMG_4649.jpg

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Yes please, it's correct for '46 - the gold version is early models & I'd planned on stripping the remants to clean up the tank. I'll email you..

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Dug into this a bit more today - doesn't look like it's done a lot of work, so no big surprises. Other projects on the go, so I might put it back together and leave it for winter.. and spray it in the spring.
Attachments
P1220073 (Large).JPG
Speeditwin.jpg

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Box of bits arrived from the US today..intact muffler & exhaust tube, bowden cable for the tiller throttle, some extra exhaust gaskets and mounting hardware. Finally can get on with finishing, firing up and painting this gem. Jelly and water in the carb due to being left outside for too long at home meant another carb strip down. Hard to think what boat it can go on...a Pearly Miss or Saro Terrapin, possiby a Sea Nymph / OMC I guess.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Bemoaning the fact that my nearest paint factor is nearly an hour away vs 5mins in the south and although they tried, am not happy with the tint on this - anyone know where I can get proper 'Dull Aluminium' paint? Easily available at every cornerstore in the US, but not here.
Attachments
P1250309 (Large).JPG

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

My grateful thanks to the local AOMCI member who put me onto the equivalent of Dull Aluminium...a passable version is Simoniz 5 Wheel Paint. I used the Steel version, but Silver is a bit more sparkly.
Attachments
Original 1950 Speeditwin
Original 1950 Speeditwin
P1250315 (Large).JPG
P1250343 (Large).JPG
P1250341 (Large).JPG

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Funny how I painted this stuff almost 4 months ago...and it's still languishing. Hoped that it'd dry out while I bought new decals in the US. They arrived in batches - new vinyl versions - many years of trying to get tiny airfix waterslide transfers in the right position meant I wasn't about to try similar on such a large (uneven surface). I will get there. As an aside I was punished in the import/duty/VAT side..adding another £20 to the purchase cost. £8 of that was a 'handling charge' for the post office to fail to redirect from our old address, chuck a card in the old mail slot requesting payment and finally send the contents on after online payment, only to leave a card saying I'd missed them by 5mins and could I pick them up 3 days later...I will (one day) start an online petition requesting quasi-gov't agencies cease charging for what they don't earn.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

As usual months had passed by without any progress..The guests all left and I decided to fit the throttle cable and tiller unit. I temporarily fitted it all together and when the cable was proud of it's fitting assumed it was too long and in a moment of stupidity cut it 10mm shorter. It was an original cable made for a perfect fit, heavy duty and is virtually unobtainable - they're also unusual in that the outer casing is a left hand thread and screws into an anchor. Cue a choke cable purchase and I had to make up another, using the old as a pattern. With help I managed to set it up correctly, as the mid / START position on the handle coincides with the halfway point of the carb throttle valve.

The propeller and nut were cleaned in a bucket of kettle descaler before being polished up and refitted.

It is now ready to go, but I will wait until the Pearly Miss is right way up, so I can put it on a transom and test it in a drum.

Here's a 1947 version running.

Attachments
IMG_2476 (Large).JPG
IMG_2475 (Large).JPG

K998
CMBA Member: 0

Post by K998 »

That's a nice motor ! I try to only collect small motors but the bigger ones are impressive !