1964 Johnson 40hp RD-26S

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: 1964 Johnson 40hp RD-26S

Post by Rapier »

All went well thanks. I have the reconditioned box installed and filled it up with oil (and fitted new fill / drain washers) a few weeks back, after the permatex had set. Am hoping to run it in anger soon.

I prefer working with the powerhead in situ. The moment you get it on the bench it becomes difficult to position and hold in place, unless you have an old shaft cut down (and welded to a small block) to put in a vice. My general routine is the same as yours, but I use a 50/50 mix (in an oiler) of ATF and acetone to soak the bolts - this is an old wheeze that the Mercury and AOMCI forum guys use. If difficult to access, you can make an dam with plastic and duct tape. The secret I was taught (by people here..) is to go slowly, take time to run through the heating / cooling cycles and oiling, the expansion and contraction is enough to open up the threads that the acetone will carry ATF to. I do use Mapp gas, but it's very hot and other stuff can get cooked and I have used a decent creme brulee torch to get localised heat on, but sometimes a just heat gun can be a better option - better to do it inside out of the wind, but make sure there are no sources of combustion nearby (and no charging batteries..) - I had a narrow escape when the thinners soaked towel I was using to wipe something, just before, was venting enough fumes to catch fire on the workbench. I've broken bolts to due to my inexperience with the tool force required and being in a hurry to get something fixed. Another member uses a 'windy' gun on a low setting that can rattle it enough to break the rust, or oxidation seal. Generally I don't take exhaust ports, or water jacket covers off unless absolutely necessary (salt run mercs notwithstanding), most old motors will need a new head gasket for peace of mind and this gives one a chance to scrape the water passages out from that end, and have a good look at the bore conditon. Hope it helps..
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...