Project Chrysler

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Project Chrysler

Post by Rapier »

The last jobs, paint on the motor, but wasting time on these shrouds...VHT do a great stripper though.
Attachments
Picture 083 (Large).jpg
Picture 091 (Large).jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

carl minshall

Post by carl minshall »

Hi sorry for the late reply, my white paint is just a standard none mixed cellulose paint, form my local paint /body shop.
Carl.

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

Rapier, you deserve a medal for your perseverance this this motor! (But often far more satisfying to go off-piste and restore something that others would cast aside) - it sounds like it idles beautifully considering the size of those two big pistons, looks nice too...... :thumbsup: - should give your P/Miss a fright!!

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Sadly project Chrysler came to an end on Saturday. :cry: Been a bit of fun working out it's quirks and was going well before it's demise.
Attachments
P1210790 (Medium).JPG
P1210789 (Medium).JPG

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Just finished dismantling my 'experimental' Chrysler. It shouldn't have sounded, or run so smooth, or idled so well; top & bottom bearings were seriously shot. In the event the head gasket went and the bottom piston damaged. There's no other damage and it's all repairable, only seals, bearings and a gasket set have to be bought, possibly rods for the newer pistons I have. I'll also see if I can make an overheat light / buzzer - the sensor is on the head - and I'll run the tell tale off the top of the block, rather than rely on their exhaust bypass system.

I've had plenty of OMCs, but I am still impressed at how simple this motor is, very light / powerful and quiet (even without the fire-hazard noise suppression foam) and importantly, with the right factory manual, are easy for a rookie to work on. In the early days they were the 1st to use grp cowlings - in fantastical shapes - use 'slippery' gear cases and V shaped reeds. In the mid-60s they were no3, behind OMC and Mercury, before West Bend was bought out by Chrysler in 1965.
Attachments
P1220069 (Medium).JPG

Fastjeff
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Fastjeff »

Nasty seizure there. Nasty!

Jeff

PS: Guy up the road from me has TWO 150 hp Chryslers with racing lower units and megaphones. They're just sitting there, not being used. (He's not a boater.) Has a third 150 hp in his office, a factory display model that's cutaway. Guy collects neat Chrysler stuff, so...

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Seen a few pics of Chrylser race motors..not my cup of tea, but was offered a 105hp with race gearcase awhile back. Needed a proper boat to run it on, not my G3 copy.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Let the rebuild start.
Attachments
IMG_5117 (Large).JPG

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Some photos of the head / gasket failure, block and the wear on the old crankshaft and remnants of the upper bearing, for the interested.
Attachments
P1210993_LI (Large).jpg
P1210848 (Large).JPG
IMG_1175 (Large).JPG
IMG_1177 (Large).JPG
IMG_1178 (Large).JPG
IMG_1180 (Large).JPG
IMG_1183 (Large).JPG

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

I had great ideas to get the motor done before christmas :hmmm: ...but finally got round to cleaning all the components, over the past two weekends and bringing the carcass inside - it had been languishing outdoors - after cleaning up the bottom tray. Another outboard motor project is calling, so I want to get the Chrysler rebuilt, before I lose a critical part.
Attachments
IMG_5869 (Large).JPG
IMG_5867 (Large).JPG
IMG_5865 (Large).JPG