westbend Oring or clip?

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

carl minshall

westbend Oring or clip?

Post by carl minshall »

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me on the crank case, of a 35/40 HP westbend outboard, do I need a O ring or clip to go in the groove between the lower crank shaft bearing and oil seal? For some reason I did not take a picture of what was there
thanks carl.

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Re: westbend Oring or clip?

Post by floater »

I have no experience of west bend motors but I would expect there to be a circlip or some sort of ring to stop the bearing being pushed out by crankshaft end loads or gravity as its the bottom one, unless the bearing sits against some sort of step.

If you could upload a picture that would be useful.

carl minshall

Post by carl minshall »

Hi
Will try to upload some pics as some I've got my head around my new Photoshop elements, I think the west bend engine is the same as a Chrysler?
Carl.

carl minshall

Post by carl minshall »

westbend engine crankcase pic
Attachments
DSCF0874.JPG

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

I would agree with floater, a circlip, if you look at the photo and think about the assembly, 1, there is no reason to put an O ring in the grove, the assembly will be sealed by the oil seal. 2, the circlip will stop the oil seal moving back into the bearing when fitting the gear case and locating the drive shaft into the crankshaft spline.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Am not sure which model you have, as the changeover was in '65, but many parts of the design were carried over & a lot of the change was purely cosmetic. My Early Chrysler 35/45 & 50hp factory manual shows no circlip in the expanded Crank & Piston views. It says 'lower bearing race seats in locating pin' (as do main and upper bearings) in the block. Crankshaft dissasembly is explained just as A. Slide seal and lower main bearing off crankshaft

Talk to Hank at American Marine, he may have the parts microfiche, or personal experience. He's a great help.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Factory manual..
Attachments
Chrysler 35 45 50 crank.jpg
Chrysler 35 45 50 block.jpg

carl minshall

Post by carl minshall »

Hi
do you have the web site address for American Marine?, had a look and there a lot of sites with the name of American Marine, and thanks for all the members who have helped.
Attachments
$_58 (3).JPG

carl minshall

Post by carl minshall »

engine pic
Carl.
Attachments
uuuuu.jpg
uuuuu.jpg (71.55 KiB) Viewed 7716 times

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

What a joy, looks like a serious project, but should be fun once up and running. Is it a 57 to 59 35hp or the 59 to 63 40hp? You'll find parts are expensive on both sides of the pond, even the service items are more expensive than OMC for instance & a lot will be NLA. Two things Hank & another kind gent taught me were to set the timing and carb / ignition syncronisation up properly, check it regularly and make sure the flywheel torque setting is per the manual. They have a habit of breaking keys and scoring the crank with the debris if not torqued properly. Pre-ignition can be a problem too. Both also said they were no worse in the reliability stakes than OMC equivalent hp, if looked after.

If you haven't a factory manual ebay (& possibly Amazon) often has Intertech Publishing Corp's OLD OUTBOARD MOTOR - Service Manual - volume 2 (ISBN: 0-87288-187-3) which covers outboards 30hp and higher up to 1969. Looking at the site, I see that Clymer produces it now, but if you can find a used version...covers West Bend from '57 through to '65 & 30hp to 80hp.

http://www.americanmarineimports.co.uk/

I noticed Bill Higham often has odd bits for West Bend - they were Chrysler dealers, so it might be worthwhile asking if you can scavenge.