Repairing Mirror Dinghy

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Repairing Mirror Dinghy

Post by haventaclue »

Hi all,
Firstly I can say to Howster without shadow of doubt,his dinghy is not a Mirror.
I acquired this dinghy a week or so ago.Long story short ,the man who owned it gave it to me as his kids aren't into sailing.And as my father assembled it for him in 1970,he gave it to me.
An odd hole here and there without access to 1/4" Marine ply.None of them that big that would need to replace complete panel.So this is what I have in mind.
Cut best ordinary 1/4 ply to size,epoxy resin it to seal,glue in place and scrape epoxy filler over it,sand and paint.
Am I over simplifying this? Am I missing anything?Is there an easier/proper way to go about it?
All advice,ideas very much appreciated.Thank you.

I must repair this to get it out of the way of my Shakespeare project,that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :hilarious: :hilarious:
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Re: Repairing Mirror Dinghy

Post by sean-nós »

Can you stick up a few photos of what needs repairing, in the meantime have a look at this :D you might want to skip one and a half mins :giggle:

haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: And I was worried about a few wee holes :D Apart from the pics,there are a couple of other dents that epoxy filler will take care of.
Attachments
Bow transom
Bow transom
Stern transom
Stern transom
Port side
Port side
Previous repair
Previous repair

haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

What she looked like before I went at her with nitromors,heat gun,scraper and sandpaper
PS I know this is the Classic Motor boat forum,sorry, :oops: ,but I figured the people with wooden and ply boats were the people to ask. :wot: :drink: Anyway,if I hang a 1970 outboard out the back,wouldn't that qualify it ??????? :hilarious:
Attachments
Photo0001.jpg
Photo0003.jpg

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

If it were me I would strip all the plywood off and re do it, in fact I might even build a new boat and pain it in the old colours :D
It's only stitch and glue so it should come apart easy and you could re-ply it as quick as repairing it plus you will have a cleaner finish.

Howstar
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Howstar »

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Mirror-Dinghy ... 0009045297

Basically all i did was strip all the old rotten plywood off and and patch the panels up then fiberglass over them expoxy resign.

but if i had the chance again i would replace the whole panel,

haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

Hi Howster,how's your wee boat coming along? And that brings me back to the need for 1/4" marine ply. http://www.tridentuk.com/sailing/Wooden ... _Hull.html .My hair is already white without adding to it when I saw the prices here for the replacement parts. I have no fear of ripping ply and bending it to make it fit,just need to get my hands on some without having my wallet murdered.I know,I know,BOAT: Bet On Another Thousand :help: :drink:

Howstar
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Repairing Mirror Dinghy ?

Post by Howstar »

haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

Just had a look at it. Nice job :thumbsup: I'm a little envious,ok,very :mrgreen: .
I have just painted mine,well it was painted the weekend after I had the disaster with the shakey,took a chance. I have yet to become computer literate enough to upload to the likes of photobucket.I took a load of photos as I went along.But to keep up with Joneses :hilarious:
Attachments
As she sits at the moment
As she sits at the moment

Cardo

Post by Cardo »

Must be catching...ive been doing the same
20130721_155139.jpg